Manager walks out at half time as Petersfield Town lose again

By Post in Football

Petersfield Town 2 Kidlington 4: IT WAS certainly an afternoon packed with drama at Love Lane on Saturday but events off the pitch rather than those on it hit the headlines.

Manager John Robson’s decision to walk out of the ground at half time got tongues wagging with a whole host of rumours circulating on who would be next into the Rams’ hot seat.

When you consider the events of the first 45 minutes, you can almost sympathise with Robson’s actions as his side were 3-0 down after half an hour during another wretched afternoon for the club on the pitch.

Any pre-match confidence of getting a result evaporated inside the first 60 seconds of the match when Kidlington were handed the chance to lead by referee Mike Desborough.

Eric Odhiambo tried to control the ball inside the penalty area but it bounced away from him and as he went after it he ran into a defender and fell to the ground – to everyone’s astonishment on both sides the referee pointed to the spot.

Keeper Lewis Watch got a firm hand to Mark Janes’ penalty but he could only watch in agony as the ball slowly trickled over the line.

Petersfield could have no complaints about Kidlington’s second goal on 12 minutes when a long ball from midfield found Anaclet Odhiambo on the right hand edge of the box.

Watch had initially come out to try and get the ball but as he back pedalled to his goal that gave the Kidlington striker the time to drive forward and then smash his shot into the far corner of the net.

It was 3-0 on 30 minutes when the ball was played up to Anaclet Odhiambo on the edge of the area from the centre of midfield and he had the time to turn and steady himself before firing a shot across Watch’s dive and into the net.

If that wasn’t enough drama for the first half the visitors were reduced to ten men on 36 minutes when Billy Connor got on the end of a ball over the top and Kidlington keeper Sam Warrell had raced ten yards outside his box to try and stop the striker’s run towards goal.

Connor flicked the ball past Warrell before he was sent tumbling by the outrushing keeper and the referee had no option but to give him his marching orders.

Five minutes before the break Stuart Green had a shot saved by the stand in keeper as he scrambled to his right across the goal line.

Despite the chaos of half time’s events, Petersfield got themselves back into the game ten minutes after the restart. A corner from the left was floated towards the edge of the six yard box and young defender Luke Edwards headed home into the roof of the net.

After that the Rams were pressing for a second goal to set up a grandstand finish to the match and they went close to scoring on several occasions.

However, Petersfield’s run of woeful luck struck again on 70 minutes. Watch came to the edge of his area to clear the ball but it bounced under his foot and Anaclet Odhiambo ran through to pick up the loose ball and complete his hat-trick by rolling his shot into the empty net.

In the 90th minute Connor got a second goal for Petersfield when he tucked his shot home, which lifted Petersfield’s spirits a little after an afternoon which left many stunned and shocked.

Petersfield: Watch, Giles, Graham (James), Green, Edwards, Tucker, M Smith, Awford (Codling), Woodford, Connor, Andrews (Jones). Subs: Corsaro.