PASSENGERS evacuated from a train at Petersfield Station on Tuesday told how a carriage filled with smoke and they noticed a burning smell.
The drama occurred in the fifth carriage of the 10.15am South Western Railway train from Portsmouth to London.
Speaking to Petersfield Community Radio, a woman said: “I was on the carriage in front of where it happened and apparently it filled with smoke and there was a smell.
“Most people left the train because of an electric fire smell. Then we were all told to get off and then we were all told to steer clear of the train and then we were all told to evacuate the platform.”
Another woman added: “I was walking up the road and there was lots of police and I was thinking ‘oh no, what’s going on?’, so I asked someone and they told me there was a fire on the train, so now I can’t get to college – gutted.”
A South Western Railway spokesman said the smoke was because of an “electrical issue” and a Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service spokeswoman said the burning smell was down to “overheated brakes”.