AS WITH so many self-contained rural communities, Greatham had its own mill to provide flour for generations of its residents.
According to A History of Greatham by Peter Gripton, it was built around 1690 and was used for almost 250 years, being last successfully tested in 1948.
John Ellis was the last miller and his descendants still operate Headley Mill as a working mill under the family name.
The following year Greatham Mill was bought by retired naval captain Nigel Pumphrey and his wife, Frances, who was the main driving force in planting and maintaining the gardens which were opened to the public for charitable causes. The current owners have continued to improve the grounds.