Alton’s second team fell to a 14-run defeat at Odiham & Greywell on Saturday.

Alton won the toss and bowled first. Alton’s bowlers chipped away as Odiham slipped to 114 for four. Odiham kept the scoreboard ticking over and scored a competitive 232 for eight from their 45 overs.

Alton’s reply got off to a shaky start. Ryan Hale and Ethan van der Linde were back in the pavilion with just ten on the board. Michael Heffernan joined Abhay Gonella and took the score to 48 before Heffernan was out leg before wicket for 13. Joe Paul looked to counter attack and scored 45 before he fell with the score on 123. Gonella followed for 39 to leave Alton on 156 for five.

Tom Andrews fell for three, but Abeed Janmohamed worked the ball around well and some lusty blows from Arul Appavoo (28 not out) blew the game open. Janmohamed was then run out for 41 to leave Alton on 214 for seven. Appavoo was left stranded as the last three wickets quickly followed, with the Brewers bowled out for 218.

Alton’s third team beat Ramsdell by 125 runs on Saturday.

Alton started brightly with Andy Postles and Howard Gadsby (11) finding the fence against the new ball, before Tom Green (30) continued to score freely with Postles at the other end. They took the score to 103 before Andy Pearce and Postles took the game away from the visitors. They put on 73 in quick time before Postles fell for 93. Matt Crane blasted the ball to all parts, scoring 78 off 39 balls with 11 fours and two sixes. Pearce departed for a fine 74 as Alton finished on 309 for four.

Ramsdell started comfortably in reply, before Derek Footit (one for 23) and Michael Salmon (one for 16) both struck. Ian Carpenter took his first wicket to reduce the visitors to 35 for three, but a good partnership from Bradley (38) and Abbot (50) nudged the score to 130 before Lucas Pearce (one for 40) broke the partnership. Carpenter (four for 36) and Crane (three for 22) took the last five wickets in the final five overs to help the Brewers claim maximum points. Ramsdell were bowled out for 184.

Alton’s fourth team held on for a draw against Frensham’s fourth team at the Hollowdene Recreation Ground in Division Five of the I’Anson League on Saturday.

Frensham’s innings was spearheaded by 92 not out from Hashir and a useful knock by skipper Richard Doran (47). Once Doran’s wicket fell, to youngster Oli Lynn, the Craig brothers, Jamie and Matt, snaffled another three quick wickets as Frensham declared at 205 for seven after 40 overs.

Alton’s response started dismally with the visitors on 11 for three. For the second time in the game the Craig brothers combined to start Alton’s recovery – eating away at the remaining overs. The growing maturity of the young Brewers shone through as every batter placed a high value on their wicket, frustrating the home team. Josh Bogue, Lynn, Howard Bayliss and Alex Stratford all batted for time and combined to save the game, picking up a valuable eight points as Alton finished on 126 for eight.

Alton’s women fell to a six-wicket defeat at St Cross Symondians on Sunday.

Alton’s availability issues opened up opportunities for the the young quintet of Abi van der Linde, Ella Janmohamed, Holly Bayliss, Flo Allhusen and Freya Evans. Batting first, Alton skipper Jorja Wright (15) and Mel Vaggers (48) put on 64 for the opening wicket before Kitty Redhead bowled Wright. Martha Bilsland (13) then managed the Brewers’ innings, receiving some solid support from Van Der Linde who batted 42 balls, as Alton eventually posted 143 for nine from their 40 overs.

The St Cross response was brutal and effective as Finty Trussler and Darcey Clarke set about the target, with Clarke (52) retiring just before the 100-mark. Evans eventually removed Trussler for 39 for her first senior wicket, and she followed this up with the wicket of Maise Ayers. St Cross reached the target in the 17th over, but the Brewers will be happy with six points from the toughest fixture of the season.