Alresford Town exit Aldershot Senior Cup

By Post  
Wednesday 6th April 2016 11:00 am

Subscribe newsletter

Subscribe to our email and get updates right in your inbox.

Alresford Town 0 Farnham Town 4: A HAT-trick by Farnham striker Matt Glass played a major role in the Magpies’ exit from the Aldershot Senior Cup, a competition they won in 2013-14.

In the first half the two sides looked well-matched. Ben Thomson’s teasing dead-ball deliveries gave the Farnham back line something to think about, and the Magpies’ attack, who had hardly mustered a shot on target in their previous outing, looked more lively.

But all that changed on 34 minutes when Farnham took the lead. The lively Glass was the scorer, receiving the ball with his back to goal on the 18-yard line and turning to fire a precise shot into the bottom left-hand corner of John Howard’s goal.

Max Merton then broke through on the right, his cross falling for James Thomas. But his shot was blocked by a team-mate and Alresford were able to scramble it clear.

The introduction of Oliver Yates for the injured Thomson gave Alresford more impetus up front. On 60 minutes the big striker made a fine solo run through the middle that ended with a shot that flew over the bar. With Simon Everett and Gary Fulker doing their best to get the midfield firing, the hosts looked to be in with a chance.

But three goals in seven minutes midway through the second half put paid to the Magpies’ hopes. On 64 minutes Glass turned in a low cross from the left to make it 2-0. That was followed by a delay for treatment to Farnham’s Jack Dillon, who had been hurt by a ferocious Grant Young foul.

With the home defence at sixes and sevens Farnham added a third goal. This time Glass ran through on the left and slotted under the diving Howard to put the match beyond Alresford’s reach.

And on 71 minutes Elliot Cardona scored the visitors’ fourth, finishing off a right-wing attack at the far post at the second attempt: Glass had been heavily involved in the build-up.

Alresford worked hard up front in the closing stages, with Yates and fellow substitute Ben Dexter doing their best to unsettle the Farnham rearguard. But the task was beyond them – it had looked that way since the goal burst midway through the half – and it is Farnham who go through to the final at Aldershot Town’s Recreation Ground stadium on Wednesday, May 11. Their opponents will be either Fleet Town or Camberley Town, whose own semi final date has not yet been agreed.

More About: